Sunday, May 12, 2013

Visit Seattle While the Sun Shines!

Approaching West Seattle on the Bainbridge Ferry
Northeast Washington state recently enjoyed a record-breaking 11 days of
sun in May (not since 1946). I was 
lucky to have a friend visiting from VT 
and had taken the day off to show him
around what I know of downtown 
Seattle. Actually Frank started out as 
a friend of David C, and they both
live in Montpelier, VT. We three share a
love of food, conversation, and Buddhism.



Closer, you can just see the Ferris Wheel in center

Frank has lived in California, but never seen Seattle, and since I live out on the Olympic PeninsulaI am not an expert in the Big City, but figured what I knew, coupled with what my patients recommended would be enough for a good taste (6 hours).




Meeting Frank in front of SAM


Since SAM and TASTE are two of my favorite places in Seattle, we met there. I recognized
Frank from his FaceBook page, and since we
have David in common, I immediately felt as if I had been friends with Frank for years, too. 

I must admit that although I can appreciate
the skill involved in the paintings of the 1600's, 
I didn't love this show as much as some of 
the others I've seen at SAM. I think every one
in my family is a member now, so we go and 
see Everything...and check out the book store.



Bangers and Mash in honor of the paintings from England


 The food at Taste is AMAZING in appearance And flavor! I got Frank taking food pictures, too. Previously I had only seen wine pictures from his travels up the coast.



Pioneer Square...perfect day for sitting outside



The Underground tour in Pioneer Square was recommended, but it was too nice outside to study the origin of the Crapper...save that for out-of-town guests on a rainy day. I like just walking around downtown and looking at things.

It's fun to discover a new person via conversation...one degree of separation, having David in common. IS there a difference between people who grew up 
in the Northeast, versus the Left Coast?
--conversation as an art form.



Pike Place Market, of course, the guys who throw fish

 We didn't happen upon the Gum Wall, but did watch the guys who throw fish at Pike Market...a never-ending show.


Frank wanted to see the city from someplace high...Space Needle, the Deco building downtown, but I voted for the Great Wheel, since I'd never been up, and had read the novel, something in the White City, about the Chicago Expo, when their great Ferris Wheel was built. 




High on the Great Wheel



We kept taking pictures of each other, 
to show where we'd been, but never
did do one together...maybe next time
I go to VT.


Fabulous views all along the waterfront from the Gi-normous Wheel.

It wasn't scary at all, and we had a whole car to ourselves.


 
Frank, high above Seattle.


David and I had been teasing Frank (via email) because he seemed to be specializing in pictures of motel rooms and bars from Sonoma up the coast....we took care of that. Unlike David, who didn't like the drop offs, Frank enjoyed driving up Route 1...'course he was on the inside lane.


Such an exhilarating first encounter on Such a Spectacular Sunny May day in Seattle called for a drink...or several.




The first Gin and Tonic of Summer!



What was that kind of gin--Bombay? Could become addictive, possibly hallucinogenic...especially on such a warm and sunny day. As you can see, we started shedding layers. I was talking about naked ladies when the waitress stopped by.


A magical day...a new friend to visit in VT








Before this meeting, I had asked myself, just because we are both friends with David, does that mean that we will be able to get along and enjoy a day with each other...the answer is YES!





 

Next visitor gets: The Underground Tour, Smith Tower, the Monorail, Chihuly Garden, EMP, and the Pie place, or maybe dim sum, or the Tamarind Tree...who's up next??? I haven't even been to the the Museum of Glass in Tacoma or the Quilt Museum in LaConner, or...

     

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home