Saturday, May 04, 2013

A SHOW OF MY PORTRAITS

Ella, 2010, acrylic on paper
On my Hot Flash Women Facebook page, I've started posting all my current portraits in one album, in preparation for a portrait show at the Museum and Art Center in Sequim in August and September As I was gathering material for a grant application, I looked back at my soft sculpture portraits from when I lived in VT, and see what a long thread this has been in my life. 

Katie, 2010, acrylic on paper











Soft sculpture boy with fish, 1980's
        








Soft Sculpture chocolatier











When I lived in Burlington, VT, I used acrylics to paint on muslin, then stuffed and quilted layers for my portraits. I did one of Ben and Jerry, Bernie Sanders, and other local
celebrities.

I had done some acrylic portraits when I lived in NY, then started again when I moved here. I work from photos, 
since I don't want the person watching me while I paint
them.

Bertha Cooper, 2012
I first worked on paper, thinking to save 
money on materials, since I've had to
be frugal throughout my life.

But I learned that framing paintings on
paper is way more expensive than the 
canvases I use now.

Diana Somerville
After doing multiple portraits of family
members, I felt I needed to expand
my subject matter, and chose the 100 Hot Flash Women theme, to give me a structure that would last the remaining
years of my regular work life.








I'm limiting my canvases to 18" x 18", 20" x 20" or 20" x 24" and using women that I've met in my life, on the premise that all the women around us are outstanding on one way or another.


Dianne Drake

The Museum and Art Center, in Sequim, WA, is hosting a show of my Hot Flash Women to date, during the months of August and September, 2013, and I 
want to finish as many of the 100 portraits
as I can by then, as well as generate 
discussion about women and All that we do, including things that may not be celebrated, or even known.


Fran Sisson








Johanna Hays
For the show, I'll have you viewers write the stories you can imagine about each of these individuals, then have some actual information available, too.


There is such richness and variety in the supposedly "ordinary" women we see around us all the time.

















Patti Gibbons, from the acrylic on paper phase






















Anita Lecesse





Linda Crow

Lynne Armstrong

Marian Hastings
Lynne Armstrong 2

Sara Miot

Serene Mumar Hastings

Anna Wianko Chassman


Ann Grgich

Barbara DiPirro

Barbara Houshmand

Gloria Skovronsky
And the list goes on...and on. What a fascinating Process!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home