Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Treating Myself!

Rhubarb Custard Pie, adapted from Betty Crocker's PIE and PASTRY COOKBOOK, given to me by my future mother-in-law in 1968

I love the contrast between creamy custard and tart rhubarb...Much better than strawberry rhubarb, I think

Pastry for 10" pie crust--I mix up a little extra and use the scraps for topping...or you can use store pie crust. My pie crust--never scientifically-measured: 1 cup flour, some wheat germ, salt, sugar, vinegar, 1/3 cup butter-flavored crisco, some real butter, ice water to hold together. Blend and chill for at least an hour before rolling out.

5 eggs
1 2/3 cups brown sugar
3 Tablespoons half and half
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 heaping cups diced rhubarb.

Heat over to 400 degrees
Beat eggs slightly and combine the rest of the ingredients, mixing thoroughly
Pour into piecrust, putting scraps of crust over filling
Bake around 50 minutes until nicely browned, covering the edges with foil, if you like.
Serve slightly warm
Great for breakfast, too!


I bought the rhubarb at Chimacum Corner Farmstand, and Kristin Berg asked for the recipe. I had just made one pie to share with the family in Seattle, so had to do another for me--We have to take care of Ourselves, as well as others. It sure smells good. I'm going to have a piece now for supper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home