Sunday, January 25, 2009

Art and Life...and the Big Doll


I received the 10 boxes of the new edition of DESIGNING A DOLL AND MAKING FACES INSPIRATION BOOK on Inauguration Day…what a Wonderful day of Celebration and Hope! Now if we can just make it last and each do a little bit more to help each other and the world for the next four years—then it could become a habit. Little Port Angeles over here on the other end of the country from DC had it’s own Inaugural Ball…Democrats, Republicans, Independents…lots of dancing and cheering, some in tuxes and ball gowns, all united in optimism.

But, back to my newest book—I love to see a shiny new one arrive, and this is the longest and most colorful to date! There’s one week…til the end of January…for the Deal: $25 and free shipping in the US. $5 off on shipping to Canada and the rest of the world. I hope when you see the new book, you’ll be as excited as I am, with lots of patterns and step-by-step projects as well as pictures of dolls I’ve made in the last over 50 years (I started young).

Now I’m working on dolls using Found Objects to submit to another one of Lark’s “500” books. Did you see my dolls in 500 HANDMADE DOLLS?

Check out the Figurative Artists Consortium June 11-14, 2009, with help from members of All Dolled Up. The site is figurativeartistsconsortium.com

After an e-conversation with my friend, Roberta Russell, in Ottawa I wrote: you’re right, artists need to learn to take care of ourselves. I need a business manager! I am technically qualified to go on Social Security on my 62nd birthday in a little over a month, but would not be able to afford to eat if I did that. Luckily, I like my job and health care seems to be a relatively safe profession in ongoing financial crisis

As I have time, I'm working on trying to figure out the parts of my art business that I like best and can do most naturally, so I can go back to making a profit. My brother, David, has a very successful graphic design business and I try to learn from him. He says the way of the future is more presence on social networking sites, so I joined Linkedin last night, although now I have to put up pictures and of course update my blog. I'd like to do more teaching online...and always more books, although I see that I can't afford to wholesale them. Lots to work on in my "spare" time in the next 5-8 years before I can afford to retire (I hope). Today it's taxes, two local class proposals, and pieces for the Lark Found Objects book...I guess all the projects will continue to keep my brain exercised.

Of course then there are always the goals in the back of my mind of participating in changing health care delivery in the US and writing a novel...

Last weekend I took some time out (Also Very Important!) to explore our beautiful Olympic Peninsula with David and Brian…the hike to Marymer Falls that I’d been hearing about and never done. On the way to Lake Crescent, every individual twig and needle was sparkling with frost…I never even knew this gem of a glacial lake existed before I moved here…one of the many pleasant surprises of moving to the Northwest. In the midst of all our busy-ness, it’s SO important to take time out and spend it with the people we love and enjoying the sights and experiences where we live. I’m looking forward to seeing more of WA this summer, and Corvallis, OR, when I go to teach there in May.

It’s just starting to get light as I write this at 7:19 on a
Sunday morning. I see that it snowed during the night, just a light coating here at 500 feet. In a country of mini climates, tide tables and height above sea level are important. One last thing before I go to start breakfast: DOLL MAKING AS A TRANSFORMATIVE PROCESS starts 2/3/09 on www.joggles.com, and there is still time to register at joggles. It’s always a wonderful experience with participants from all over the world…we talk about Everything in the chat room and post pictures as we go along. Five lessons with paper and cloth projects, progressing from Transforming Ourselves to Transforming the World…and just playing with the varied forms and materials will spark lots more creative ideas….I hope you’ll join me!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home