Thursday, July 17, 2008

Figuratively Speaking, show with Rosie Rojas


7/17/08 While I was travelling in the Northeast, Laurie Brainerd http://www.fiberartspace.com hosted a 2-person show with me and Rosie Rojas. I wish I could have been there in person!

Here's Rosie at the show with her black and white seated figure. I met Rosie via email when I wrote DOLL MAKING AS A TRANSFORMATIVE PROCESS. She has also used doll making to work through life problems, especially with depression. http://www.asinglerosedolls.com







I made a set of new wall pieces for the show, painting with acrylics on muslin and quilting and layering for depth and detail, the way I did back in the 1970's.

It's always interesting to recycle approaches--they come out a little different each time around. This week I went back to Life Drawing for the first time in a long time and even liked what I did. Like any athelete, practice is vital for artists, too!


Another of Rosie's seated pieces, plus the legs of hers on the wall. Being exposed to other artists' work really pushes us to do better and strive for the best we can be. Surround yourselves with work that makes you do better with your own!

The experience of exhibiting also pushes us to create more work and get it out into the world. This creates empty space to make us do more work.

I really need to keep forcing myself back into the studio...even when it feels as if nothing is happening. It takes time to cook and hone new ideas. Now that it's summer in the Northwest (dry, sunny, 70's every day) it takes a LOT of self-discipline to sit in front of the computer and get into the studio.

Never Enough Time for All the FUN!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home