Thursday, December 27, 2007

New Works and Adventures 12/27/07



Here's what I've been working on: Another in my series of small painting/collages with words and stitching, using the constraints of one-sized paper, stitching, collage, and red, yellow, white, black, aqua--freedom in structure.

For this one, I just started putting paint down and waited to see what would emerge. Contemplative, perhaps.


FREE PATTERN!



Just in time to prepare for Christmas 2008, here's a new angel pattern. I try to do one each year--another book, eventually. You will probably want to enlarge the pattern.

I used my beloved batiks and outside seams to avoid turning, except on the head, which is done in a white-on-white print. I sewed the arms and legs into the body seam, used iron-on transfer paper to adhere the fabric to the front and back of heavy interfacing.

You could also adhere fabric to heavy cardboard and avoid sewing.




A self-portrait in oils that I finished in the spring. I didn't think that I liked painting in oils--rather smelly and more cleanup than I like--I HATE cleanup!

The style is different from my usual, with building up the colors gradually and painting Everything that I see, instead of the flat patterns that I uusually do.

Often I don't calculate what I'm going to do, I just wait to see what comes out. This is one of the advantage of having a "regular" job to pay my bills. With my Art I can play and experiment.

Here's a question I posed recently to my Critique group--is an artist's Style as unique and unchangeable as her handwriting? Will my work be recognizeable as my work, no matter what medium or approach I take?


Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Judy H said...

I have to question about handwriting being unchangeable, therefore your art being unchangeable. I know, depending on mood, writing implement, etc, my handwriting does change. If you look through my journals, there will be chunks were the writing is different. So therefore I think your art can be different also. I believe you do have a basic "style" or trademark, but depending on mood, inspiration, materials, etc., that style can change or be very different from the norm. And I think it is desirable; it allows us to grow and branch out.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Stefania Morgante said...

Hi Pamela, I'm Stef from Italy, remember me? I love this portrait, I love the intense colors and the expression of your face, I love violet and yellow and as you used the brushes.
www.blogspot.com (have we exchanges our blogs?)

5:30 AM  
Blogger Patti Gibbons said...

that self-portrait is great Pamela!~

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home